9.01.2005

Let's Talk About Sex

You know what I realized? I'm totally Mormon Julie from the Real World. Today Reza, Yorgo and I met a guy who might potentially move in, and had a brief but hilarious discussion about our past tenants, most of whom have hooked up with:
a) one another
b) a guy/girl who wants to move in now

It became pretty excitable, with Reza expostulating about how Christian should not have treated Caitlin like this, because after one hook-up, he made out with Rachel (currently trying to move in). And then there's the mysterious Alex, whom Reza describes as being "vulnerable" -- and how dare Christoph (also eager to move in) hook up with her for one night and never call her again...

Meanwhile, Yorgo was sitting back and saying "hey man, you can't say that. What about Alex? What guy ever called Alex before she called him? You can't say Christian behaved badly. What if you hooked up and..."

Man, these guys are serious! I mean, my god, I really am Mormon Julie. I played it off (have you ever seen me try to look cool?) pretty pathetically. Mostly I laughed a lot, because I couldn't help it, it was ludicrous to hear them discuss the "philosophy"of hooking-up. I'm impressed that they're aware of the whole 'women getting screwed emotionally' deal, but also interested to learn that hey, stereotypes are real: guys want to protect female friends but they also want to have sex with no strings attached. I really missed the boat on the male perspective during college. What a waste of 4 years. It's one thing to imagine what they think -- it's totally different to hear them discussing it between themselves.

What on earth have I gotten myself into? A sex motel? Me? Unless I rotate a series of smirking men through our living room, they're going to think I'm the lamest girl ever. Or maybe I'll just make an audio clip of creaky bed-springs and charged laughter. Right. Good plan. Not that that would be pathetic.

1 comment:

Owen said...

Hahaha that's a good one:) Houses always tend to end up like that, and just recently my neighbor told me our apartment building was virtually a brothel..really...good luck with your new roomie!