9.11.2005

US OPEN Men's Final, a halfwit's commentary

I've always thought that Federer has a fantastic game because he's such an all-round player. He never falters, and although his backhand isn't as masterful as his forehand, he combines an incredible wingspan (the one-armed stroke gives you that, I don't personally favour it, but it's a distinct advantage, you're just tighter when you hit double-handed) with this coy little slice in order to make it a pretty dangerous return. He doesn't allow his serve to get so big that it dominates the game - he mixes it up with great placement, the occasional ace, and a lot of variation. I like creative players. Plus I'm feeling a little sorry for him, since he's totally shaken by Agassi's huge level of play. I haven't seen tennis played at this pitch in forever. Especially not in a final. All the cross-court shots and the speed itself...it's crazy! Roger is just choking, and it's kind of killing me, but I keep telling myself Andre deserves to win -- and not just because he's fought to stay in the game this long, but because he's playing at 300% right now. You can almost see him expanding his game, attaining that amazing pitch of play. Roger, on the other hand, is getting tighter and tighter.

I think the crowd advantage is really revealing itself here. It's awful to play when people are cheering as you double fault, or screaming continuously and vigilantly for your opponent's success. No matter how impassive you might be, no matter how much you choose to dwell inside your head, it gets to you and it gets to your game.

I think in part the crowd is so worked up because in the post-Sampras era, there isn't really an American tennis hero anymore. I grant Roddick is a solid player, but he's young and he needs to build up his presence. James Blake did well, but where was he until this tournament? And now! Agassi is having a huge comeback. Plus he's older, which means that more people have followed his career and know where he's coming from. I don't know if this is a last hurrah, but does it matter? It's amazing to witness someone resurrecting their game and outplaying the world champion. I've never seen Federer make so many faults and play a game that lacks finesse. Not that it makes me think anything lower of him. It's nice to see that even he, at 22, at the pinnacle of tennis, is liable to net balls, hit wide and long, screw up his angles.

No comments: