8.30.2005

Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds

Today a girl in production asked me to join her for lunch. I was touched. Her name is Lucy Day (this is her full first name -- I made the mistake of calling her Lucy, and was immediately reprimanded...it's Lucy Day, and that's that). What a fun name. It's cool to walk into someone's office and say, "Hey, Lucy Day! Aren't you ready to go?" or "I had lunch at the Ivy Garden with Lucy Day." It makes me feel like I've met the leading lady from a Beatles' song.

Lucy Day is married to a grad student called Aquinas (nope, not making this up). I saw a picture of them at their wedding (Aquinas is turning away from the camera -- as Lucy Day noted, he's not terribly photogenic, so a profile shot is the best they can hope for), in which people were blowing bubbles as they exited the church. Lucy Day didn't want rose petals or confetti; they're too conventional. So her mum went to the dollar store and bought everyone individual bottles of bubble soap. I was totally charmed. She also has a canary diamond - it was either this (which does look a little sickly to me) or a "really beautiful white diamond," and Lucy Day knew she'd "have to get the weird ring."

Lucy Day is also extraordinarily gifted...in the art of origami. Her room is covered in paper cranes, boxes, flowers, globes, etc. I'm hoping her generosity will kick in and I'll get a little crane (I'm already thinking of calling it "Solomon") for my cubicle.

No comments: