8.08.2005

I went running (really, I just wheezed a lot on the treadmill) in the morning and then tried to take care of business. I have a final presentation to perform for Spanish on Thursday, for which I have done the equivalent of absolute zero. The professor made the only stipulation that the more 'fun things' we incorporate, the higher our score. Now doesn't that sound absurd? What's the point of succumbing to catchy pictures and gadgets if the grammer is terrible? I have a feeling about 1/4 of the class is going to expound upon how they love to drown their woes in muchos cervezas. Honestly, I like my class, but if the professor stops speaking for a minute, you can palpably sense the students thinking "¡cervezas!" The verb of day is the verb of everyday: Beber. If a class goes by in which someone doesn't prose on about 'bebemos muchos cervezas', I'll finally commit to being positive about life.

And now for something completely different:

One of my favourite sites to visit for fun is the NYPL Digital Gallery. They have the most amazing images: elevations of facades, interiors, manuscripts, etc. Below is an etching of a gallery in Notre-Dame de Paris, Charles Méryon, 1853. This is where I'd like to be right now, on a foggy and cool March morning in Paris. I guess it might seem a little lonely, but the shadows would be constantly playing between the tracery, and I think they'd be company enough for me. A little Gothic Romance goes a long way these days. Maybe I'd even recite some lines from Horace... ;)


No comments: